Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Winifred in Fergus County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
 

Camp Cooke

First Military Post in Montana

 
 
Camp Cooke Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, August 24, 2020
1. Camp Cooke Marker
Inscription.  Near this site, where the Missouri and Judith Rivers join together, the United States Army built the first military post in Montana Territory on July 10, 1866. The post, under the operation of the 13th Infantry, continued to provide service to the area until the official closing of Camp Cooke on March 31, 1870. A number of soldiers died and were buried in the post cemetery. The bodies were never moved.
 
Erected by Montana Department of Transportation.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: MilitaryWars, US Indian. A significant historical date for this entry is July 10, 1866.
 
Location. 47° 43.57′ N, 109° 38.079′ W. Marker is near Winifred, Montana, in Fergus County. Marker is at the intersection of PN Bridge Road (State Highway 236), on the right when traveling south on PN Bridge Road. The marker is approximately 1 mile south of the PN Bridge and Missouri River. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winifred MT 59489, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Judith Landing (here, next to this marker); Claggett Hill Trail (approx. 0.9
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
miles away); The Anglos Are Coming (approx. one mile away); Welcome to the Mountain Ranges (approx. one mile away); Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail (approx. one mile away); Naturally Sustained Productivity (approx. one mile away); Tale of Two Treaties (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Camp Cooke (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winifred.
 
Also see . . .  Camp Cooke (Montana) -- Wikipedia. The camp was established on July 10, 1866, just upstream from the mouth of the Judith River by the 13th Infantry Regiment. By 1867 Camp Cooke had a strength of approximately 400 men. The army established the post to protect steamboat traffic en route to Fort Benton. (Submitted on December 6, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.) 
 
Camp Cooke Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, August 24, 2020
2. Camp Cooke Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 6, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 262 times since then and 75 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 6, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=161910

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 20, 2024