Site of the Greenwood Seminary
To E. Eugene Eves and Elizabeth Eves Thomson, descendents of original organizers of the Greenwood Seminary, who in 1965 made a gift of this property to the Millville Borough for recreational purposes.
This land was the site of the Greenwood Seminary, the "main-spring" of education for the area from 1851 through the turn of the century. The Seminary closed in 1915, and that year materials from the Seminary building were used to construct a Community Hall, which served as the location for public meetings including high school events until the early 1960's.
In 1966 the Community Hall, standing idle since the construction of a new high school auditorium, was torn down. This opened the area as it is today. Various community organizations and individual volunteers, coordinated by a Park Commission appointed by the Borough Council, have helped in the development of this valuable community asset.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Education • Parks & Recreational Areas. A significant historical year for this entry is 1965.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lights Around the Park (here, next to this marker); Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Grist Mill Drive Wheels (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Veterans Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); John Eves' Mill (approx. 0.3 miles away); Millville (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Wheeler (approx. 8½ miles away); War Memorial (approx. 8.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Millville.
Also see . . .
1. Millville Borough History. (Submitted on December 6, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. History of Columbia and Montour Counties, PA, Chapter XII - Greenwood and Jackson Townships. (Submitted on December 6, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 6, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 102 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 6, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.