Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pomfret Center in Windham County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Pomfret

 
 
Pomfret Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dawn Bowen, July 10, 2007
1. Pomfret Marker
Inscription.  The Town began as the “Mashamoquet Purchase,” 15,100 acres brought by twelve proprietors in 1686 from James Fitch of Norwich, who had acquired it from the Indian sachem, Owaneco. In 1713 the Town was incorporated and named for Pontefract in Yorkshire, England.

On Old Windhma Road stands the Abington Meeting House (1751), the oldest Connecticut church in continuous use The Pomfret Public Library is the successor to the oldest such society in eastern Connecticut and the Social Library of Abington (1813) is the oldest active library formed by women in America.

The Pomfret Manufacturing Company (1806) located along the Quinebaug River in a section that is now part of Putnam, was the first large cotton textile mill in the State. Among one-time residents of Pomfret are Israel Putnam, a major general in the Revolutionary War; James A. McNeill Whistler, artist; and Louise Chandler Moutlon and Robert Hillyer, poets.
 
Erected 1979 by the Town of Pomfret, the Pomfret Historical Society, and the Connecticut Historical Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1686.
 
Location. 41° 51.557′ N, 71° 59.882′ W. Marker is in Pomfret, Connecticut, in Windham County. It is in Pomfret Center. Marker is on U.S. 44, 1.6 miles west of Connecticut Route 101. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pomfret CT 06258, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Abington Congregational Meeting House (approx. half a mile away); Abington Meeting House (approx. half a mile away); Putnam and The Wolf (approx. 1.4 miles away); Putnam Wolf Den (approx. 1.7 miles away); Clark Memorial Chapel (approx. 2½ miles away); Israel Putnam's First Home (approx. 3.1 miles away); In Honor of the Men of Pomfret (approx. 3.2 miles away); Nathaniel Lyon Birthplace (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pomfret.
 
Also see . . .  Pomfret, Windham County, Connecticut History. (Submitted on July 11, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia.)
 
Marker located in front of Town Hall image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dawn Bowen, July 10, 2007
2. Marker located in front of Town Hall
Abington Meeting House (1751) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dawn Bowen, July 10, 2007
3. Abington Meeting House (1751)
The oldest Connecticut church in continuous use.
Social Library of Abington (1813) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dawn Bowen, July 10, 2007
4. Social Library of Abington (1813)
The oldest active library formed by women in America.
The Pomfret Town House (c. 1841) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dawn Bowen, July 10, 2007
5. The Pomfret Town House (c. 1841)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 10, 2023. It was originally submitted on July 11, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,215 times since then and 154 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 11, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=1621

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 20, 2024