Sidney in Comanche County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Community of Sidney
Began about 1870 when William Yarborough and J.A. Wright, early settlers, located on Jimmie's Creek. As a community developed, the settlers built a log schoolhouse near a spring, in 1877. W.D. Cox was the first teacher. The Methodist Church was also founded in 1877 and a few years later the Baptist Church and Church of Christ were started. All denominations took turns using the log schoolhouse for worship.
In 1883 Tom Davis opened a store and soon J.C. Stapp bought an interest in it. In 1886 Stapp became the first postmaster, naming the Post Office after his young son Sidney. Holstein Dairy cattle, basis of a major industry, were brought here in the 1880's.
Between 1890 and 1910 Sidney had several Doctors' offices, Drug stores, Gins, a General store, Barber Shop, Lodge Hall, and Telephone Exchange. Reorganized in 1902, the school became an accredited high school.
Around the turn of the century, the town shared in the national attention focused on nearby Round Mountain - first field laboratory of the remarkable Dr. Robert T. Hill (1858 - 1941), World - Famous Geologist. His studies vastly increased knowledge of
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1012.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Science & Medicine • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 31° 56.961′ N, 98° 44.214′ W. Marker is in Sidney, Texas, in Comanche County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 589 and Farm to Market Road 1689, on the left when traveling north on Highway 589. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sidney TX 76474, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pendergrass Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Cox Cemetery (approx. one mile away); Comanche County (approx. 8 miles away); The Comanche Chief (approx. 8˝ miles away); Huett Building and Carrera Glass (approx. 8˝ miles away); Oakwood Cemetery (approx. 8˝ miles away); The Chilton-Harelik Building (approx. 8˝ miles away); Ritz Theater Building (approx. 8˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sidney.
Also see . . .
1. Dr. Robert Thomas Hill. A pioneer Texas Geologist who helped moved the field of geology forward with his (Submitted on December 8, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
2. Sidney Texas. Sidney Texas was orginally known as Jimmie's Creek or Round Mountain. (Submitted on December 8, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
3. Dairy Cows. The introduction of Holstein Dairy cattle to Sidney was an important addition to the town's economy. (Submitted on December 8, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 8, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 27 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 8, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.