Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Overton Cemetery is located near the site of William Perry Overton's home, built in 1853-54, on land originally a portion of the Dugold MacFarland survey No. 985 of 1280 acres. MacFarland received the bounty land from the Republic of Texas for his participation in the war with Mexico and then assigned his patent to John Nolen, a land manager. The land was then deeded to Aaron Overton in 1851 for the payment of back taxes. North Carolina native Aaron Overton (1784-1860) and his sons, Caswell C. (1816-?) and William Perry (1823-1903), were among the first to come to the area, settling on the west side of the Trinity River in 1844. The first home, erected by Aaron, was one of the first frame houses, and now one of the oldest houses, in the county. The homestead was well known in its time by pioneers for the Overtons' grist mill and hospitality.
The first family member buried in the cemetery was Lizzie E. Overton (d. 1870), daughter of William Perry and wife Martha. Most of the grave markers inside the fenced area are for Overton family members, including William Perry's sons Caswell (d. 1873) and Oscar Alonzo (d. 1880). Henry
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2004.
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16725.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 43.066′ N, 96° 46.292′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker can be reached from East Overton Road. The marker is behind a locked gate. The cemetery is off of Leatherwood Street behind a bunch of trees and overgrowth. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3522 Leatherwood Street, Dallas TX 75216, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Joppee Community (approx. 1.6 miles away); Lisbon CemeteryLincoln High School (approx. 2.8 miles away); Colonel William G. Cooke (approx. 2.9 miles away); Tueria Dell Marshall (approx. 3 miles away); L. Butler Nelson Cemetery (approx. 3 miles away); Oak Cliff Cemetery (approx. 3 miles away); Tenth Street Historic District Freedman's Town (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 8, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 27 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 8, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.