Near Sidney in Comanche County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Pioneer farmer and rancher William Pendergrass (1818-98) and his wife, Emaline (1819 -1907), moved from Tennessee to Smith County, Texas, in 1849. They first came to Comanche County in 1859, then settled here permanently after a brief return to Smith County (1866-73), some of the Pendergrasses' nine children also settled in this area.
A leader in this frontier community Pendergrass helped to establish several churches and a school, as well as this cemetery. The first interment here was in 1883, when Pendergrass offered a plot of his land for the burial of a stranger whose body was found nearby. Soon afterward, he moved graves of two of his grandchildren, Hilliard Pendergrass and Pearly Cook, to this site from a tract of land he had sold. In 1888 he deeded the one-acre cemetery to the community. Emaline Pendergrass donated another acre shortly after her husband's death in 1898. The 525 graves now (1975) here include those of Pendergrass, his wife, and many of their descendants.
The Pendergrass Cemetery Association, formed as the result of a community beautification drive, fenced the site and erected gates in 1959. The
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3977.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 31° 56.656′ N, 98° 43.398′ W. Marker is near Sidney, Texas, in Comanche County. Marker is on County Highway 157 0.4 miles east of Farm to Market Road 1689, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sidney TX 76474, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cox Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Community of Sidney (approx. 0.9 miles away); Comanche County (approx. 7.2 miles away); The Comanche Chief (approx. 7.6 miles away); Huett Building and Carrera Glass (approx. 7.6 miles away); Oakwood Cemetery (approx. 7.6 miles away); The Chilton-Harelik Building (approx. 7.6 miles away); Ritz Theater Building (approx. 7.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sidney.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 8, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 26 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 8, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.