Lamkin in Comanche County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Originally established 1870, one-half mile north on banks of the Leon river. Named for George Lamkin, donor of land for townsite. Business firms included general store, blacksmith shop, gin, post office and drugstore. Despite several floods and fires, pioneer merchants gamely rebuilt, only after the flood of 1908 destroyed Old Lamkin was town moved to present site.
Two years later with the coming of the Cotton Belt Railroad. Lamkin developed into a shipping center for farmers and ranchers. By 1920, the town had 2 gins, a hotel bank, produce house, lumberyard, blacksmith shop, 3 general stores, post office, 4 churches, telephone exchange and drugstore. Consolidated Public School had average attendance of over 200. Basketball team was County Champion for 4 consecutive years. Annual attraction was horse and mule show. In 1922, fire destroyed a major portion of business firms. Lamkin rebuilt but failed after railroad discontinued, 1936.
An often-related pioneer story was of 1869 Indian raid 2 miles east of here on Resley's creek. The home of Mrs, Elizabeth Ewell was ransacked by 19 renegade Indians. The widow and her 2 sons
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3020.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Sports.
Location. 31° 49.3′ N, 98° 15.804′ W. Marker is in Lamkin, Texas, in Comanche County. Marker is on 36th Division Memorial Highway (State Highway 36) 0.1 miles south of County Road 286, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 29080 Hwy 36, Gustine TX 76455, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Andrew Miller (approx. 3.2 miles away); Evergreen Cemetery (approx. 7.8 miles away); Gustine (approx. 8.6 miles away); Cora (approx. 8.6 miles away); Hamilton County, C.S.A. (approx. 8.8 miles away); a different marker also named Hamilton County (approx. 11 miles away); Pecan Cemetery Tabernacle (approx. 11.3 miles away); Presbyterian Church (approx. 11.4 miles away).
Also see . . . Lamkin Texas. A fire in 1922 destroyed most of the businesses in Lamkin, and the town never really recovered. (Submitted on December 9, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 9, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 33 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 9, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.