Katy Trail State Park
From its inception and throughout its 25-year history, Katy Trail State Park has been one of the most successful rails-to-trails conversions projects in the United States. As the longest developed rail-trail in the United States, it has been inducted into the national Rail-Trail Hall of Fame.
The Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad (MKT)
Begun in the 1870s, the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad, also known as the Katy, ran through much of the Missouri River valley by the 1890s. With the Pacific Railroad running from St. Louis to Jefferson City by 1856 and the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad becoming the first cross-state railroad in 1859, the Katy was a relative late comer to the railroad game. However, it provided a vital link between the agriculture of central Missouri and the quickly developing American southwest. The Katy added to Missouri's prosperity, supporting towns along the corridor and causing several new towns, such as Mokane and Tebbetts, to spring up almost overnight.
The Katy Ceases Operation
In the fall of 1986, severe flooding washed out several miles of track
The Railroad Amendment
The National Trails System Act Amendments of 1983 created a program to preserve rail corridors through "railbanking.” Railbanking converts a railroad corridor to a public trail and preserves the corridor for future rail use. When the Katy Railroad ended operations, the Missouri Department of Natural Resources filed for and received a Certificate of Interim Trail use for the corridor from Sedalia to Machens in April 1987. The department developed one of the most successful rails-to-trails conversions in the United States along the Katy route.
The Development of Katy Trail State Park
Initially christened the Missouri River State Trail because it paralleled the Missouri River much of the way, the first section opened in April 1990 between Rocheport and McBaine. In August 1990, another section from Augusta to just northeast of Defiance opened. In 1991, the name of the trail officially changed to "Katy Trail State Park” in honor of its railroad history. The rail corridor from St. Charles to just
The last Katy passenger train passed through Clinton on May 1, 1958.
A state park construction crew lays planks over an old railroad bridge.
Thousands gathered for the opening ceremony in Rocheport on April 28, 1990.
Katy Trail attracts an estimated 400,000 users annually.
Pat and Ted Jones
Katy Trail State Park would not have been possible without the support of Ted and Pat Jones. Their initial donation of $2.2 million made it possible to acquire the MKT Railroad corridor and develop it into Katy Trail State Park Following her husband's death in 1990, Pat Jones and the financial-services firm that bears the Jones family name, Edward Jones, continued to support Katy Trail efforts. After the flood of 1993, the firm helped fund trail reconstruction and provided a toll-free number for updates on the trail's recovery. After the trail's completion from Sedalia to Clinton, Edward Jones provided funds for the opening ceremony;
Communities along the Katy continue to embrace the trail. Several have built trail spurs to connect their towns to the trail. The Jefferson City Katy Spur connects the trail to Jefferson City via the Pat Jones Pedestrian and Bicycle Lane.
Eagerly anticipating the completion of Katy Trail State Park, the town of Boonville built a 3.4-mile section of the Katy Trail in 1990 from Spring Street near the historic MKT Depot southwest to the city limits.
The Conservation Federation of
Missouri and the Conservation
Foundation of Missouri Charitable
Trust were instrumental in the trail's
early development. They continue
to support the trail by managing
the Turner Katy Trail Shelter in
Tebbetts, a hostel for trail users.
Erected by Missouri Department of Natural Resources.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Parks & Recreational Areas • Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Katy Trail State Park series list.
Location. 38° 44.033′ N, 91° 26.65′ W. Marker is in McKittrick, Missouri, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Sterline Road 0.1 miles west of Walnut Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is in parking lot of the Katy Trail State Park, McKittrick Area. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 Walnut St, Hermann MO 65041, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. McKittrick to Portland (a few steps from this marker); McKittrick to Treloar (a few steps from this marker); Hermann (approx. 1.9 miles away); Gasconade County Courthouse (approx. 1.9 miles away); Pioneer Trails Juncture (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Maria Waechter House (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Lewis and Clark Expedition Across Missouri (approx. 1.9 miles away); Hermann: Germania's Liberator (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKittrick.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 10, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 32 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 10, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.