Near Madison in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Seven Islands Road
Originally an important link in the Oakfuskee or Upper Creek Trading Path, the Seven Islands Road became a wagon road long before the Creeks were expelled from Georgia. As an Indian trail, the Seven Islands path, crossed both the Oconee and Apalachee rivers at what is now Swords, Ga. When Park’s bridge was opened about 1807 some eight miles from here, however, the trace began there on the west bank of the Oconee and ran to the Seven Islands of the Ocmulgee.
Beyond the Seven Islands, the road travelled westward via Indian Springs, where it became the Alabama Road. The Alabama ran past Marshall’s Ferry on the Flint to what is now Columbus and crossed the Chattahoochee at Kennard’s Ferry to join the Federal Road a few miles west of Fort Mitchell, Ala.
Erected 1993 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 104-12.)
Topics and series. This historical Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1807.
Location. 33° 29.334′ N, 83° 26.274′ W. Marker is near Madison, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker is at the intersection of Eatonton Road (U.S. 441) and Seven Islands Road, on the right when traveling south on Eatonton Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Madison GA 30650, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fairview (approx. 0.6 miles away); Springfield (approx. 1.2 miles away); Bethany (approx. 2.9 miles away); Godfrey (approx. 4.4 miles away); WWII B-25C Airplane Crash (approx. 4˝ miles away); Union Chapel United Methodist Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); Georgia 4-H Clubs (approx. 5.1 miles away); George Claud Adams (approx. 5.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Seven Islands Road. An interesting history of the Seven Islands Road states that William Bartram first named the Seven Islands area in the Ocmulgee River. That history is here: http://www.clineproperties.com/images/oakafuskeetrail_info.pdf
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 17, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,787 times since then and 109 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 17, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.