McKinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The land surrounding this historic cemetery was part of a grant obtained by John McGarrah, a member of the Peters Colony who arrived in this area in 1843. McGarrah founded a trading post near this site, and soon the Fort Buckner settlement was established. It would later become the first county seat of Collin County.
David William O'Brien (1808-1885) came to Collin County with his family in 1857. He eventually acquired the part of the McGarrah land which included this site. The Buckner Cemetery, which was established on the O'Brien land, has also been referred to as O'Brien Cemetery over the years.
Although there may be earlier unmarked graves, the oldest documented burial is that of Franklin O'Brien (1851-1870). Many early pioneers of Collin County are interred here, including victims of a smallpox epidemic in the 1870s. According to local tradition, a Kiowa Indian named Spotted Tail also lies here in an unmarked grave.
The only physical remnant of the Buckner community, this cemetery serves as a reminder of the early history of Collin County.
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 33° 13.135′ N, 96° 40.057′ W. Marker is in McKinney, Texas, in Collin County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of West University Drive (U.S. 380) and North 16th Street. The marker is located directly behind the North Texas Palms & Pottery business. The parking lot is used for the Trader's Day business and they charge a fee for entrance on the 3rd weekend of the month. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4202 West University Drive, McKinney TX 75071, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Buckner (a few steps from this marker); Scott Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away); Collin County Farm (approx. 2.4 miles away); Collin County Poor Farm (approx. 2.4 miles away); Site of Muse Academy (approx. 2˝ miles away); McLarry Cemetery (approx. 2.7 miles away); George McGarrah Cemetery (approx. 2.8 miles away); James Calvin Rhea House (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKinney.
Also see . . . Buckner Settlement. McGarrah's settlement or Buckner townsite was an early pioneer trading post around a family fort. (Submitted on December 11, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 19 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 11, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.