Constructed in 1887
Dampness from living in the barracks, harsh weather conditions and illness is such as scurvy, smallpox and consumption often the soldiers at this isolated fort in and out of the hospital. As a result, medical officers or civilian doctors on a monthly salary were hired to serve at the fort.
The original hospital was completed in December of 1868. This one-story, brick building was eventually deemed unfit for patients due to the lack of properly heating, insulation and latrine facilities. In 1881, a second floor, a full ward and a widow's walk among other changes, or added to the hospital.
Erected by South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks.
Topics. This memorial is listed in this topic list: Forts and Castles.
Location. 45° 39.498′ N, 97° 31.847′ W. Marker is near Eden, South Dakota, in Marshall County. Memorial can be reached from 434th Avenue (
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Doctor's Residence (a few steps from this marker); Library-Schoolhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Blockhouse and Breastworks (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Sisseton (within shouting distance of this marker); Stable (within shouting distance of this marker); North Barracks (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Andrew Jackson Fisk Historic Trail (about 300 feet away); Officers' Quarters (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eden.
More about this marker. This marker replaces an older marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 24 times since then and 4 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on December 11, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?