Church Hill in Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Confederate Soldiers & Sailors Monument
Confederate Soldiers & Sailors
Anno Domini 1887-1894.
Erected 1894 by Confederate Soldiers & Sailors Monument Association.
Topics. This historical marker and monument is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. Marker has been permanently removed. It was located near 37° 31.6′ N, 77° 25.067′ W. Marker was in Richmond, Virginia. It was in Church Hill. Marker could be reached from the intersection of North 29th Street and Libby Terrace, in the median. This 100-foot monument is located in Libby Hill Park. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Richmond VA 23298, United States of America.
We have been informed that this sign or monument is no longer there and will not be replaced. This page is an archival view of what was.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. The View That Named The City (a few steps from this marker); "Richmond" Libby House (within shouting distance of this marker); 5 North 29th Street (within shouting distance of this marker); 2916 Libby Terrace (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 3013 Libby Terrace (about 400 feet away); Bloody Run (about 500 feet away); The Williamson Allen House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
More about this monument. This memorial to Confederate enlisted men was designed by City Engineer Wilfred Cutshaw. He modeled it after Pompey's Pillar in Egypt. A 17-foot bronze soldier by Richmond artist William Ludwell Sheppard stands atop a 73-foot Corinthian column. The column is composed of 13 stone cylinders representing the 13 Confederate states.
Regarding Confederate Soldiers & Sailors Monument. The statue of this monument was removed by local authorities on July 8, 2020.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on February 17, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,849 times since then and 203 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 18, 2009. 2. submitted on February 17, 2009. 3. submitted on February 18, 2009. 4. submitted on May 10, 2012. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.