Lancaster in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Tennessee native James Barker Lowrey (b. 1823) came to Texas in 1859 with his wife, Elizabeth (Hunter), and their children. In 1881 he purchased this 124-acre tract of land. Three years later Lowrey conveyed title to the property to his second son, Nicholas (d. 1897), who continued his father's farming and cattle raising practices. The homestead was divided for a time, but later was reunited by John S. Hurst (d. 1943), a prominent Lancaster businessman and Nick Lowrey's son-in-law. The Lowrey - Hurst homestead and farm remained in the same family for more than a century.
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6777.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 36.26′ N, 96° 42.077′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on West Pleasant Run Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 405 W Pleasant Run Road, Wilmer TX 75172, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the St. Paul Freewill Baptist Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); Rocky Crest School (approx. 3 miles away); First Methodist Church of Hutchins (approx. 3 miles away); W. A. Strain Home (approx. 3.1 miles away); First Baptist Church of Hutchins (approx. 3.1 miles away); Dawdy's Ferry (approx. 3.2 miles away); Edgewood Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Lancaster (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 16 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 11, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.