Near Buckhead in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Named in honor of the family who contributed substantially to the economic success of the community, Swords has its roots in the success of the J.B. Swords Distillery. This industrial operation was an early manufacturer of whiskey and was a contemporary to Jack Daniels Distillery. Swords developed in proximity to the community of Blue Springs, one of the earliest communities in Morgan County. Blue Springs derived its name for the healthy natural water sources located in this area, which was an essential resource for Swords Distillery. In addition to the distillery, farms in the area produced cotton and timber, and in 1910 the Georgia Railroad constructed a side track and depot in Swords which facilitated easier transport for these commodities.
Formally incorporated by the Georgia Legislature on August 16, 1909, the Swords community boasted of a bank, post office, school building, and jail. Its commercial center boasted of a general supply store, blacksmith shop, grist mill, cotton gin,
Though no longer incorporated, because of the individuals who take pride in this community, Swords is recognized as a significant part of our county history.
Erected 2007 by Morgan County Bicentennial Committee.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 33° 32.733′ N, 83° 18.433′ W. Marker is near Buckhead, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker is on Swords Road 0 miles east of Blue Springs Road, on the left when traveling east. Marker is located at the Swords United Methodist Church. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Buckhead GA 30625, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The March to the Sea (approx. 0.2 miles away); Park's Mill (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Oconee River Railroad Bridge Federal Raid (approx. 3.6 miles away); Buckhead (approx. 3.7 miles away); Park Home and Site of Park’s Mill (approx. 4 miles away); Fort Mathews (approx. 5 miles away); Stagecoach Road (approx. 6.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Buckhead.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 18, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 972 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 18, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2, 3. submitted on March 21, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.