Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Fort Johnson in Montgomery County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Orchard at Old Fort Johnson

 
 
The Orchard at Old Fort Johnson Marker image. Click for full size.
By TeamOHE, June 4, 2019
1. The Orchard at Old Fort Johnson Marker
Inscription.  
Sir William's house and gardens at Fort Johnson were surrounded by acres of fields growing wheat, peas, corn and vegetables for export trade as well as local consumption.

The estate also contained fruit orchards. Johnson ordered a variety of fruit trees for his orchards, including cherry, white apple, crab apple, pear and plum. His attempts at growing lemons, limes and oranges were not very successful.

Estate gardeners would have been responsible for planting, tending and grafting the trees. In addition servants or slaves were used to help harvest from the orchards, produce sweet and hard ciders and other preserves from the fruit.

Several guests visiting Fort Johnson described the festive meals they were served as consisting mostly of produce from the estate.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureForts and Castles.
 
Location. 42° 57.433′ N, 74° 14.417′ W. Marker is in Fort Johnson, New York, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of New York State Route 5 and Fort

The Orchard at Old Fort Johnson Marker image. Click for full size.
By TeamOHE, June 4, 2019
2. The Orchard at Old Fort Johnson Marker
Johnson Avenue (New York State Route 67), on the right when traveling west on State Route 5. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Johnson NY 12070, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Johnson (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Fort Johnson (here, next to this marker); Fort Johnson, 1749 (within shouting distance of this marker); Johnson Trail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Putman's Lock Grocery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Claus Mansion (approx. one mile away); Amsterdam World War Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); Guy Park, 1766 (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Johnson.
 
Also see . . .
1. Old Fort Johnson - Montgomery County Historical Society. (Submitted on December 13, 2020, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Sir William Johnson, 1st Baronet (Wikipedia). (Submitted on December 13, 2020, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
Fort Johnson image. Click for full size.
By TeamOHE, June 4, 2019
3. Fort Johnson
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 12, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 24 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 12, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 26, 2021