Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Stanton in Mercer County, North Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Corrals

Fort Clark State Historic Site

 
 
Corrals Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 28, 2020
1. Corrals Marker
Captions: (center) Map showing location of corrals at Fort Clark.; (upper right) Aerial view of Fort Clark with corrals highlighted.; (bottom left) Horses were very valuable and the reason corrals were built to inhibit theft as shown in No Two Horns' pictograph of a horse raid.; (bottom center) Excavation of the "Bullberry Fence" corral at Like-A-Fishhook village.; (bottom right) Photograph depicts a native stand of bullberry bushed with ripe fruit.
Inscription.  In front of you are situated what archaeologist believe may have been corrals constructed by the Arikaras. Because views of the fort painted by George Catlin and Karl Bodmer between 1832 and 1834 do not show the corrals, they were likely built after the Arikaras moved into the village in the winter of 1837-1838.
Soil samples taken in the summer of 1988 showed that the east enclosure had higher-than-normal levels of phosphorus and total organic carbon, two elements that are found in urine and manure. This information supports the idea that the enclosures may have served as corrals for horses.
The size, general outline, composition, and position near the village margin closely conform to the "Bullberry Fence" corral at Like-A-Fishhook Village. The fence comprised bullberry bush branches set in the ground at irregular intervals. Over time, the blueberry bushes acted as a sediment trap, leading to the development of a low earth embankment.
 
Erected by State Historical Society of North Dakota.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Native Americans.
 
Location. 47° 15.109′ N, 101° 16.43′ W. Marker is near Stanton, North Dakota, in Mercer County. Marker can be reached from 37th Avenue Southwest near 12th Street Southwest (State Highway 200), on the right when traveling north. The marker is located at the Fort Clark State Historic Site. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stanton ND 58571, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Missouri Valley Environs (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stone Shelter (about 300 feet away); Winter Villages and Lodges (about 300 feet away); The People (about 300 feet away); Fort Clark (circa 1830-1860) (about 300 feet away); Fort Clark in the International Fur Trade (about 400 feet away); Pierre Garreau's Lodge (about 400 feet away); Earthlodges (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stanton.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 12, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 23 times since then and 2 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on December 12, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Mid-distance view of the marker. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 5, 2021