Kerrville in Kerr County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Christian Church
(Disciples of Christ of Kerrville)
In the early 1880s a small group of pioneer Kerrville Women collected funds to build a Union church, and a small sanctuary was completed in 1885. Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian, and other congregations shared the building with the Christian (Disciples of Christ) Fellowship for many years. Through the efforts of the Rev. P. E. Hawkins and Dr. H. R. Wall, the First Christian Church of Kerrville was granted sole ownership of the Union building in 1925. Through the years, its members have become active in outreach and missionary programs.
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1704.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Women. A significant historical year for this entry is 1885.
Location. 30° 4.323′ N, 99° 10.658′ W. Marker is in Kerrville, Texas, in Kerr County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Goat Creek Road (Farm to Market Road 1338) and Lois Street. The marker is located near the front entrance to the church through the parking lot. Touch for map. Marker Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kerrville Lodge No. 697, A.F. & A.M. (approx. half a mile away); Order of the Eastern Star Kerrville Chapter #24 (approx. half a mile away); Gatlin Site (approx. Ύ mile away); Starkey Cemetery (approx. one mile away); Old Spanish Trail (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Famous Door Cafe (approx. 2.2 miles away); Nichols Cemetery (approx. 2.3 miles away); Mount Olive Baptist Church (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kerrville.
Also see . . . Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). The Disciples of Christ in Texas are a part of a movement started by Barton W. Stone in Kentucky in 1804. (Submitted on December 12, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 12, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 57 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 12, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.