Madison in Davidson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Madison Adventist Origins
In June 1904 near this spot, "The Morning Star" moored for repairs. Seventh-day Adventist visionary Ellen White, mother of boat owner Edson White, saw the nearby Ferguson Farm for sale and told educators Edward A. Sutherland and Percy T. Magan to locate there. The founders occupied the property on October 1, 1904 and chartered the Nashville Agricultural and Normal Institute August 4, 1905 later known as Madison College. They dedicated a sanitarium in June 1908 that served for many years as the Madison Hospital and later as Tennessee Christian Medical Center.
Madison Health Food company operated by the Rural Educational Association produced high-protein meat substitutes. Other industries helped students work their way through school. Many of Madison College's students started schools and sanitariums of this kind on farms in the southeastern United States. Madison Elementary and Academy and the Middle Tennessee School of Anesthesia now occupy the campus.
Erected 2020 by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3A 246.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed Churches & Religion • Education • Industry & Commerce • Science & Medicine. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list.
Location. 36° 15.291′ N, 86° 40.369′ W. Marker is in Madison, Tennessee, in Davidson County. Marker is on Cheyenne Boulevard 0.1 miles north of Pallas Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1201 Cheyenne Blvd, Madison TN 37115, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Madison College (approx. 0.7 miles away); Odom's Tennessee Pride Sausage, Inc. (approx. ¾ mile away); Indian Captivity (approx. 0.8 miles away); Thomas Overton (approx. 1.4 miles away); Memorial to Corporal William F. Lyell (approx. 1.4 miles away); Old Hickory Village (approx. 1.4 miles away); Old Hickory Triangle (approx. 1.4 miles away); Old Hickory Powder Plant (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 13, 2020, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. This page has been viewed 74 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 13, 2020, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.