Ann Arbor in Washtenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Salix alba, ~95 years old
Behind the Scenes
Willows filter contaminants from wastewater and can be used in ecological wastewater treatment systems.
Salix alba, with the ability to hybridize, has an estimated 300 sub-species and named hybrids.
Hybrids tend to be much heartier than their parents, which increases survival.
Planted in 1922
And the Peony Garden Begins!
Also in 1922, the Peony Garden at Nichols Arboretum begins with a gift of alumnus William E. Upjohn (MD 1875), founder of the Upjohn Pharmaceutical Company.
The Peony Garden was intended to increase understanding, knowledge, and appreciation of peonies. It is the largest public collection of historic (pre-1950s) herbaceous peony cultivars in North America. Blooms in early June.
Erected 2017 by Matthaei Botanical Gardens and Nichols Arboretum, University of Michigan.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Environment • Parks & Recreational Areas.
Location. 42° 16.922′ N, Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1610 Washington Heights, Ann Arbor MI 48104, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shagbark Hickory (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Riverbank Rescue (about 500 feet away); How It Happened (about 500 feet away); Weeping Japanese Cherry (approx. ¼ mile away); Nichols Arboretum (approx. half a mile away); Simpson Memorial Institute (approx. half a mile away); Washtenaw County War Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Campus Patterns of Residential Life (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ann Arbor.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 13, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 35 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 13, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.