Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Kerrville in Kerr County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Kennedy-Peterson House

 
 
Kennedy-Peterson House Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, December 5, 2020
1. Kennedy-Peterson House Marker
Inscription.  

This home was built in 1914 for seven-term Texas State Representative and Speaker of the House Austin Milton Kennedy (1866-1914), who moved here to assist with his struggles with tuberculosis. Kennedy lived here only three months and died on July 19, 1914. Rancher and businessman Sid Peterson (1868-1939) and his wife, Myrta (Goss) Peterson (1881-1951), purchased the house in 1919. Well-known in the hill country, the Peterson family established a charitable foundation in 1944 to help local students and those in need and the Sid Peterson Memorial Hospital in 1949. Built in Victorian Free Classic Style, the house features a large wrap-around porch, gabled roof, original columns, original beveled glass door and pine wood drop siding.
Recorded Texas Historical Landmark - 2017
Marker is property of the State of Texas

 
Erected 2017 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18623.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureCharity & Public WorkScience & Medicine.
 
Location.
Kennedy-Peterson House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, December 5, 2020
2. Kennedy-Peterson House and Marker
30° 3.108′ N, 99° 8.019′ W. Marker is in Kerrville, Texas, in Kerr County. Marker is on Earl Garrett Street 0.1 miles south of Myrta Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 840 Earl Garrett Street, Kerrville TX 78028, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Zion Lutheran Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); San Antonio & Aransas Pass Passenger Train Depot (approx. 0.4 miles away); Beitel Lumberyard (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Kerrville (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named First Presbyterian Church of Kerrville (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Original Building of Tivy School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bocock Civil War Cannon (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kerrville.
 
Also see . . .  Kennedy-Peterson House. Finding History In These Hills (Submitted on December 14, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
Kennedy-Peterson House image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, December 5, 2020
3. Kennedy-Peterson House
The sign in front of the Kennedy-Peterson House. image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, December 5, 2020
4. The sign in front of the Kennedy-Peterson House.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 14, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 35 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 14, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 25, 2021