Sealy in Austin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In 1879 Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway Company agent George Sealy purchased 11,635 acres at this location from the township of San Felipe de Austin for the purpose of establishing a railroad depot. The village of Sealy soon developed around the depot and on July 5, 1883, it recorded its first burial here, that of the infant Annie Fowlkes.
Families that settled in Sealy purchased cemetery plots directly from the railroad until the company donated the land to cemetery trustees C.H. Ruff, R.P. Josey, and John Hackbarth in 1887.
The Sealy Cemetery Association was founded sometime prior to 1898 and officially chartered in 1924. The Ladies of the Cemetery Society, organized in 1904, helped the association cultivate community support to upgrade and maintain the cemetery. Two notable society members, Mrs. J.W. (Vera) Ripple and Mrs. Paul (Mahala) Hackbarth helped organize a Christmas Bazaar Fundraising event in the 1930's that developed into an important Annual Social Affair in the community.
Among the more than 2,400 grave sites are those of many of Sealy's early residents. The cemetery boasts a variety of gravestones
Erected 1993 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4624.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is July 5, 1883.
Location. 29° 46.758′ N, 96° 9.985′ W. Marker is in Sealy, Texas, in Austin County. Marker is on Main Street 0.1 miles east of 2nd Street, on the left when traveling west. The marker is located at the entrance to the Sealy Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sealy TX 77474, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Liedertafel (approx. ¼ mile away); Haynes-Felcman House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sealy (approx. 0.4 miles away); Haynes Mattress Factory (approx. half a mile away); Trinity Lutheran Church (approx. half a mile away); Paul and Mahala Hackbarth House (approx. half a mile away); Citizens State Bank (approx. 0.6 miles away); Saint John's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sealy.
Also see . . .
1. Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway. The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on December 14, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
2. Sealy, Texas. The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on December 14, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 14, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 35 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 15, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.