Devils Lake in Ramsey County, North Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Downtown Devils Lake Historic District
Devils Lake was established by Heber M. Creel in 1882, and secured a connection to James J. Hill's Great Northern Railroad line to Minneapolis. The area "boomed" as American, Canadian and European immigrants poured into the area and established an economy based largely on agriculture. The boom was triggered by the fortuitous combination of free (or inexpensive) farm land, the development of new strains of spring wheat especially suited to the area's climate and the particular demands of flour millers, and the opening of rail transportation to the Minneapolis flour mills.
The sixty-five wood-frame buildings which comprised the first commercial district were destroyed by fire in 1884. After the fire, new commercial buildings were required to have brick and stone exteriors. The buildings that make up the current historic district were built between 1885 and 1937. Six of the properties
Although the properties in the district are primarily two-story brick and stone buildings, a variety of architectural styles are represented. Attention to stylistic details and adherence to common architectural themes were outweighed by the urgency of assuring functional and fire-resistant commercial buildings. The most common building material was brick from the Red River Valley Brick Company of Grand Forks. Consequently, the Devils Lake Commercial District demonstrated the melding of popular eastern design trends with the functional needs of a boom town economy, expressed in locally available materials.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 502 4th Street Northeast, Devils Lake ND 58301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Keating's Furniture Annex (approx. 0.2 miles away); Landing of the Steamboat "Minnie H." (approx. 0.4 miles away).
Regarding Downtown Devils Lake Historic District. National Register of Historic Places #89001675.
Also see . . .
1. Devils Lake Commercial District (Wikipedia). It includes architecture by Joseph A. Shannon. It includes 44 contributing buildings, including the separately NRHP-listed U.S. Post Office and Courthouse and the Bangs-Wineman Block. (Submitted on December 15, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Devils Lake Commercial District National Register of Historic Places Nomination. (Submitted on December 15, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. United States Post Office and Courthouse (Wikipedia). The U.S. Post Office and Courthouse in Devils Lake, North Dakota, was built in 1908. It was designed (Submitted on December 15, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
4. United States Post Office and Courthouse National Register of Historic Places Nomination. (Submitted on December 15, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 15, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 42 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on December 15, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.