Hampton in Rockingham County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
Old Landing Road
This was the roadway. from the ancient landing on Hampton River taken on October 14, 1638 by Rev. Stephen Bachiler and his small band of followers, when they made the first settlement of Hampton, originally named Winnacunnet Plantation. For the next 160 years this area was the center of the Town's activity. During that period and into the Town's third century. Landing Road provided access for fishing. salt - marsh haying, mercantile importing and exporting, and transportation needs of a prospering community.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 42° 55.983′ N, 70° 50.117′ W. Marker is in Hampton, New Hampshire, in Rockingham County. Marker is at the intersection of Landing Road and Park Avenue, on the left when traveling east on Landing Road. Located in Founders Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hampton NH 03842, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Little Band Of Pioneers (a few steps from this marker); The Proprietary School (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of the Log Meeting-HouseRev. Ira S. Jones (within shouting distance of this marker); Thorvald's Rock (within shouting distance of this marker); First Public School Marker (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bell of Fifth Congregational Church Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Roll of Honor WW II (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hampton.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 16, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 51 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 16, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.