Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
White House of the Confederacy
More often, the house was the site of official receptions and unofficial parties. One observer declared Confederate First Lady Varina Davis “to be a woman of warm heart and impetuous tongue, witty and caustic, with a sensitive nature underlying all; a devoted wife and mother, and a most gracious mistress of a salon.”
The Davises’ young family enlivened the White House. “Statesmen passing through the halls on their way to the discussion of weighty things were likely to hear the ringing laughter of the care-free and
On April 4, 1865, U.S. President Abraham Lincoln visited here ten days before his assassination and less than 48 hours after Davis departed. Here, Lincoln began meeting with prominent Virginians to discuss the state’s reconstruction.
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 2, 1926.
Location. 37° 32.454′ N, 77° 25.776′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of East Clay Street and North 12th Street, on the right when traveling east on East Clay Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond VA 23219, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. White House of the Confederacy (a few steps from this marker); Alexander H. Stephens House Site (a few steps from this marker); Propeller shaft of the Iron-Clad Virginia (within shouting distance of this marker); Wickham-Valentine HouseMaupin - Maury House (about 400 feet away); Matthew Fontaine Maury (about 400 feet away); Grant House / Sheltering Arms Hospital (about 500 feet away); The Edward V. Valentine Sculpture Studio (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
More about this marker. On the lower left is a period photo of the mansion with the caption, “White House, April 1865. Built for Dr. John Brockenbrough in 1818, the mansion housed a school after the war. The Confederate Memorial Literary Society acquired it in 1894. – Courtesy Library of Congress”
In the upper center and right are three photos of the Davis family: “President Jefferson Davis (1808-1889)”, “Varina Howell Davis (1826-1906)”, and “The Davis children (left to right: Jeff, Jr., Margaret, Varina Anne, and William) in Montreall, 1867”. Jefferson Davis photo courtesy National Archives and records Administration; others courtesy Museum and White House of the Confederacy
Also see . . . The Museum of the Confederacy. The White House of the Confederacy (Submitted on February 19, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 19, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,269 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 19, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. 4. submitted on March 22, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. 5. submitted on April 7, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.