Pearsall in Frio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Frio County Jail
Oldest building in town. Built in 1884 for $11,000. Style typical of era. Used as Jail and Jailer's residence until 1967. Second story and part of the first housed Jail. Two separate cells were added in 1885 for female or juvenile prisoners or for the Insane. For years a well on the premises supplied water. During Prohibition in early 20th century, confiscated bootleg liquor was stored by law officers in one of cells. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3733.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Law Enforcement.
Location. 28° 53.256′ N, 99° 5.585′ W. Marker is in Pearsall, Texas, in Frio County. Marker is at the intersection of South Pecan Street and East Medina Street, on the left when traveling south on South Pecan Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pearsall TX 78061, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 155 mm Howitzer (within shouting distance of this marker); Frio County (about 400 feet away, Pearsall Presbyterian Church (about 700 feet away); Frio Lodge No. 399, A.F.& A.M. (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Frio County (approx. 3.2 miles away); Moore Cemetery (approx. 13 miles away); Moore Catholic Cemetery (approx. 13 miles away); Tehuacana Cemetery (approx. 14 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pearsall.
Regarding Old Frio County Jail. In 1884, the county built a jail that remained in use until the 1960s. The historic two-story rock building now houses the Frio Pioneer Jail Museum. Downstairs, the five room sheriff’s residence contains artifacts and historic photos. Some relics, such as a 1910 opera house playbill and a 1914 dance card, recall social occasions. Other artifacts, including a “pear burner” used during drought to singe needles off prickly pear cacti, symbolize tough times. Upstairs are four jail cells for men and two for women, one of which stored illegal liquor during Prohibition. The museum hosts an annual Pioneer Day at the old jail and the relocated Frio Town school. Source: Texas Hill Country Trail
Credits. This page was last revised on December 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 17, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 25 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 17, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.