Near Hill City in Pennington County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
I've Been Working on the Railroad
In addition to transporting agricultural supplies, timber, coal, and building stones, the GI&WC transported supplies to the active mining districts around Deadwood. In particular, the Edgemont-Deadwood line was built mostly for transporting mining freight. In 1983, the line from Custer to Deadwood was abandoned.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Parks & Recreational AreasRailroads & Streetcars.
Location. 43° 54.696′ N, 103° 35.2′ W. Marker is near Hill City, South Dakota, in Pennington County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of U.S. 385 and Dead Broke Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located along the George S. Mickleson Trail Rail, 3/10 mile north of Dead Broke Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hill City SD 57745, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hill City (approx. 1.3 miles away); Von Woehrman Building (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Black Hills Central Railroad (approx. 1.6 miles away); Not Just Any Old Railroad Line (approx. 2 miles away); "Work Call" (approx. 2.2 miles away); Newton Lake CCC Camp (approx. 3.9 miles away); Harney Peak Lookout (approx. 4.2 miles away); The Needles Eye (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hill City.
Also see . . .
1. George S. Mickelson Trail (Wikipedia). Nearly all of the trail follows the route of an abandoned railroad branch line constructed by the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad in 1890-91 and last operated by the Burlington Northern Railroad in 1986. The trail's route is mountainous, forested, and scenic, traversing the heart of the Black Hills (Submitted on December 18, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Grand Island and Wyoming Central Railroad (Wikipedia). The original intent was to extend the line into Wyoming, and westward construction began in 1886; but in 1889, the railroad began building into the Black Hills to serve the mines built during the Black Hills Gold Rush. In 1890, the railroad reached Hill City and Englewood, and in 1891, service to Deadwood was established. A line to Spearfish was added in 1893. (Submitted on December 18, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 18, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 43 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 18, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.