Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Los Angeles in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Avila Adobe

circa 1818

 

— El Pueblo de Los Angeles —

 
Avila Adobe Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, December 4, 2018
1. Avila Adobe Marker
Inscription.  The oldest building in the city, the adobe was the home of Don Francisco Avila, mayor (alcalde) of Los Angeles in 1810. After his first wife died, Avila married Encarnacion Sepulveda in 1822. He died ten years later. In 1847, during the Mexican-American War, Commodore Robert Stockton commandeered the adobe for two weeks as his military headquarters. The family moved away in 1868 and after that the adobe served as a restaurant and boarding house. By 1928 it had fallen into disrepair and was saved from demolition by Mrs. Christine Sterling. Now restored, the building depicts the Californio lifestyle of the 1840s prior to the American occupation.
 
Erected by El Pueblo de Los Angeles.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraHispanic AmericansLandmarksSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 34° 3.435′ N, 118° 14.279′ W. Marker is in Los Angeles, California, in Los Angeles County. Marker is on Olvera Street south of Cesar E. Chavez Avenue, on the right when
Avila Adobe and Markers image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, December 4, 2018
2. Avila Adobe and Markers
traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10 Olvera St, Los Angeles CA 90012, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Avila Adobe (a few steps from this marker); Headquarters of Commander Robert Field Stockton (a few steps from this marker); Sister Squares (a few steps from this marker); Old Winery (within shouting distance of this marker); Sepulveda House (within shouting distance of this marker); Plaza Substation (within shouting distance of this marker); Placita de Dolores Time Capsule (within shouting distance of this marker); Plaza Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Los Angeles.
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia entry. Excerpt:
Francisco Avila, a Californio and wealthy cattle rancher, was the grantee of Rancho Las Cienegas west of the pueblo (present day mid-Wilshire district). Avila spent his working time at the rancho where he resided during the week. On weekends, special feast days, or holidays, he came to the Pueblo where he could conduct trade business, entertain friends, families, or patrons; or prepare for services at the Asistencia (church) across the plaza. The Avila Adobe was considered gracious in its day. It had a number of spacious rooms with an ample number of windows. It served many a social gathering with the
Avila Adobe Courtyard image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, December 4, 2018
3. Avila Adobe Courtyard
Avilas hosting these events in the large sala (parlor).

Francisco Avila would trade hides and tallow (a main ingredient in candles and soap) to acquire finer imported things from Mexico and beyond to furnish the house. French doors and window frames were ordered from Boston. These imports were brought to post-independence Mexican Alta California by ship over thousands of miles around the southern Cape Horn of South America.
(Submitted on December 27, 2020.) 
 
Avila Adobe Courtyard Cactus image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, December 4, 2018
4. Avila Adobe Courtyard Cactus
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 22, 2020, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 33 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 22, 2020, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 25, 2021