Helotes in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Scottish surgeon Dr. George Frederick Marnoch (1802-1870) purchased more than 1500 acres at this site in the fall of 1858. In January 1859, Marnoch commissioned famed San Antonio architect and builder John M. Fries to construct this house near Helotes Creek. Previously, Fries had designed the Menger Hotel and City Market House in San Antonio. Dr. Marnoch and his wife Elizabeth (Wilson) reared six children. Besides practicing medicine in the Helotes area, Dr. Marnoch also raised livestock. Upon his death, the Marnoch property passed to his children.
George Marnoch’s eldest son, Gabriel Wilson Marnoch (1838-1920), was also closely associated with the homestead. Gabriel, like his father, practiced medicine, and was a noted naturalist and rancher. He was a founding member of the Scientific Society of San Antonio, an early observer of the Balcones Escarpment, and also discovered two amphibian and two reptile species in the Helotes Hills. Gabriel served as postmaster of Helotes from 1904 until 1919. The homestead remained in the Marnoch family until 1947.
The two-story rectangular plan house is of rough coursed limestone construction,
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2010
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16488.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Science & Medicine • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 29° 35.141′ N, 98° 41.27′ W. Marker is in Helotes, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is at the intersection of Scenic Loop Road and Marnoch Road on Scenic Loop Road. The marker is located next to the homestead which is on private property with no access to pull over. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 15350 Scenic Loop Road, Helotes TX 78023, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John T. Floore Country Store (approx. 0.6 miles away); Helotes Gugger Homestead (approx. 0.6 miles away); Scenic Loop Playground (approx. 2 miles away); Zion Lutheran Church (approx. 3˝ miles away); Zion Lutheran Church and Cemetery (approx. 3˝ miles away); R.L. White Ranch (approx. 4.3 miles away); First Officers Training Camp (approx. 6˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Helotes.
Also see . . . Helotes Texas. The pioneer whose land encompassed what is now known as Old Town Helotes was Scottish immigrant and surgeon Dr. George F. Marnoch, who purchased the property in 1858 and built a two-and-a-half-story limestone house in 1859; the house was awarded a Texas Historic Landmark designation in 2010. His eldest son, Gabriel Wilson Marnoch, was a well-known naturalist who discovered two reptilian and two amphibian species in the Helotes hills. Source: The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on December 22, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 22, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 29 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 22, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.