Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Schulenburg in Fayette County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Old Anderson Place

 
 
Old Anderson Place Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, December 20, 2020
1. Old Anderson Place Marker
Inscription.  

Area's oldest occupied house. Built before 1857 by William B. and Rosetta Anderson, three of whose eleven children were born here. Anderson was a carpenter, blacksmith, postmaster in town of Lyons, Justice of the Peace, Notary Public (appointed by the Governor of Texas), and sergeant of Lyons Riflemen, C.S.A. Family watched military drills from second story during Civil War.

Later owners: Louis Schulenburg, for whom town was named; T.W. Pierce, a principal investor in Galveston, Houston & San Antonio Railroad; and C.A. Rose family, who remodeled house for roomers.

Incise in base: Present Owner: Vera F. Maricle
Incise on back: Marker Sponsors: Annie B. (Anderson) Adams, Josie (Dunsmore) Boren, Elsie (Anderson) Wilson, Jane Knapik

 
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 6474.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceWar, US Civil.
 
Location. 29° 40.742′ N, 96° 54.327′ W. Marker is in Schulenburg
Old Anderson Place Marker with the house in the background image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, December 20, 2020
2. Old Anderson Place Marker with the house in the background
, Texas, in Fayette County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street and Lyons Avenue (State Highway 222), on the left when traveling west on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 510 South Main Street, Schulenburg TX 78956, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Schulenburg (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Turner Hall (approx. half a mile away); Lyons Lodge No. 195, A.F. & A.M. (approx. half a mile away); Jacob Wolters Log Cabin (approx. half a mile away); St. James Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Schulenburg Baptist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Schulenburg City Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Carl T. Morene: A Shorthorn Forever (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Schulenburg.
 
Also see . . .  Lyons Texas. After the Civil War the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway extended its line toward San Antonio and passed two miles north of the community. In 1874 the post office, the local businesses, and the lodge moved to the railroad and formed the nucleus of the new town of Schulenburg. Source: The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on December 23, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The Old Anderson Place and Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, December 20, 2020
3. The Old Anderson Place and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 23, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 48 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 23, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 5, 2021