Pittsburg in Carroll County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Platted by Merkle, Kendall & Co. in 1838 for side-cut canal traffic and cheap water-power from the summit level dam, Pittsburg had grain warehouses, flouring mills, oil and saw mills, wool carding and fulling, foundry and machine shops, taverns, cooper, cabinet, chair, blacksmith and shoe shops. General stores were busy until the Wabash RR came to Delphi 1856. Blowing-up the dam 1881 ended it.
Erected 1976 by Carroll County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & Streetcars • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 40° 35.661′ N, 86° 42.013′ W. Marker is in Pittsburg, Indiana, in Carroll County. Marker is on Howard Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Delphi IN 46923, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. New Purchase Boundary (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Post Office At Sleeth (approx. one mile away); Sleeth Post Office was at McCoy's Station on the Monon R.R.The Guard Lock (approx. one mile away); The Depot (approx. one mile away); The Itinerant Worker's Cabin (approx. one mile away); Irish Canal Workers Cabin (approx. one mile away); Mule Barn (approx. one mile away).
Credits. This page was last revised on December 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 23, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 40 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 23, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.