Flatonia in Fayette County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Market town for rich agricultural area, on one of this state's earliest railroads (chartered 1841 by the Republic of Texas). Situated on land granted in 1840s to rancher William A. Faires. Germans began to settle here in 1860s, and soon needed a shipping point for their products. Sailing master Friedrich Wilhelm Flato (1820-1899) and his wife Sophie, of the German Colony, had a store about 2 miles south of here. In the 1870s, Czech immigrants arrived, and the Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio Railroad (delayed by Civil War, 1861-65) was built to this point.
John Cline, F.W. Flato, John Lattimore, and railroad president T.W. Pierce founded Flatonia on Oct. 16, 1873, naming it for the Flato family. At the same time, adjacent landowners Anton Freytag and James Faires platted Freytag and Faires' additions to the town.
Post office opened in 1874. Town was incorporated Nov. 8, 1875. Soon it had churches, a school, cotton gins, a newspaper (The Flatonia "Argus"), a cottonseed oil mill, and other businesses. A casino was built for political gatherings, dances, dramas, and other uses. In 1886, a second railroad, the San Antonio
Erected 1973 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1906.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 29° 41.255′ N, 97° 6.465′ W. Marker is in Flatonia, Texas, in Fayette County. Marker is at the intersection of East North Main Street (U.S. 90) and North Penn Street (State Highway 95), on the left when traveling west on East North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Flatonia TX 78941, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mike Schulze Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wheeler Building (about 400 feet away); Olle Hotel (about 700 feet away); Flatonia Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The American Doughboy (approx. 0.9 miles away); Site of the Camp of the Texas Army (approx. 7.8 miles away); St. Joseph’s Catholic Church (approx. 7.9 miles away); Moulton (approx. 7.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Flatonia.
Also see . . .
1. Thomas Wentworth Peirce (1818–1885). He first (Submitted on December 25, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
2. Flatonia, Texas. It was established on April 8, 1874, on land acquired from William Alexander Faries (Ferris, Farris) by the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway and named for pioneer merchant F.W. Flato. At that time residents of the original Flatonia settlement, one mile southeast, and Oso, three miles northeast, loaded their homes and businesses on wagons and moved to the new location on the tracks. Source: The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on December 25, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
3. Germans of Texas. The largest ethnic group in Texas derived directly from Europe was persons of German birth or descent. Source: The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on December 25, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 28 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 25, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.