Welcome To Canal Park
Wabash and Erie Canal, Delphia, Indiana
— Celebrating the Past Building for the future —
Carroll County Wabash & Erie Canal, Inc.
Founded in 1974, in Delphi, Indiana, Carroll County Wabash & Erie Canal, Inc. is dedicated to the preservation of the stretch of the Wabash & Erie Canal located in Delphi, Indiana. Approximately one mile long, this segment of the Canal is the longest portion accessible and developed for recreational use in the state of Indiana. The Canal bed has been restored and returned to its original condition and provided with a constant source of water. Altogether the trails border three miles of restored towpath.
The Canal is the core of a unique trail system developed by the CCWEC, Inc. and Delphi Historic Trails. The trails provide over ten miles of hiking through Canal park and the surrounding landscape of the Wabash River, Deer Creek, woods, fields and also the historic town of Delphi. Throughout the trails, historic sites are marked and illustrated by interpretive panels.
The parlor in the 1844 Reed Case house, located in the Village, is adorned with restored canal era furniture and wall fixtures.
One of the oldest iron bridges in Indiana, this rare "Bowstring Arch”
Near the North Dock is the site where three lime kilns started operating in 1857. Limestone was heated and reduced to powder that was used for mortar, plaster and whitewash. This high quality lime was transported on the Canal cast as far as New York and south to New Orleans. Eventually dozens of lime kilns operated in the Delphi area.
This wooden bridge, where Washington Street crosses the Canal, is a typical design that allowed canal boats and the mules towing them to pass under without unhitching.
This stone arch, currently the bridge across the Canal, was built in 1901 by John C.O'Connor to replace the wood bridge in the illustration above.
The Delphi pulls up to the dock with the Interpretive Center in the background.
Historic Canal Village
The village is composed of canal era buildings built of local materials. They represent typical Midwestern styles of the 1830s, 40s and 50s. All of the buildings were built within a few miles of the park by local and itinerant craftsmen. They were moved to the park to form the Village. Please see our interpretive panel in the Village for more information about each structure, its history and construction techniques.
Our Canal Days festival during the first full weekend
Students get a lesson in Canal history while viewing the mural in the lobby of the Interpretive Center.
Canal Park, in conjunction with Delphi Historic Trails, offers the following year-round outdoor recreational opportunities: hiking, fishing, canoeing, kyaking, paddle boating, picnicking, biking, cross country skiing and camping. Please contact us for information about group tours, narrated walks, concerts, seasonal festivals and camping. 765-564-2870
Carroll County Wabash & Erie Canal, Inc. is a nonprofit organization to which tax deductible gifts may be made. It operates exclusively with a volunteer board and committees of individuals from the local community and elsewhere in the state. It focuses its efforts in three areas: Preservation & Restoration, Education and Recreation.
Within Canal park is the Wabash & Erie Canal Conference and Interpretive Center. The center's historic design is based upon existing buildings and old photos of an 1850s street scene in downtown Delphi.
The 12,000 sq. ft. building houses 3,100 sq. ft. of interpretive exhibit space which highlights the rich cultural and geographic history of the Canal and surrounding areas. Through the use of hands-on interactive exhibits and displays, the museum focuses on
A conference facility within the building is available for receptions, plays,
lectures and business meetings. This space accommodates catered meals for
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Parks & Recreational Areas • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1974.
Location. 40° 35.017′ N, 86° 40.983′ W. Marker is in Delphi, Indiana, in Carroll County. Marker is on Bicycle Bridge Road, 0.1 miles west of West Monroe Street (Indiana Route 18), on the right when traveling east. The marker is on the grounds of the Delphi Historic Trails Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 731 W Franklin St, Delphi IN 46923, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wabash And Erie Canal (here, next to this marker); Commerce & Culture (here, next to this marker); Trails to History (here, next to this marker); Wabash and Erie Canal (within shouting distance of this marker); Paper Mill Complex (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Depot
Credits. This page was last revised on December 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 25, 2020, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 86 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 25, 2020, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A readable photo of the whole marker. • A wide shot of the marker in context • Can you help?