Yellow Bank Flag Stop / Hendrickson's Ice Pond
Yellow Bank Flag Stop
Starting about 1867, the Whitewater Valley Railroad offered flag stop service here at Yellow Bank. Flag stops often consisted of little more than a small shelter to protect waiting passengers from the rain. Hailing a train at such stops might have required a wave to let the engineer know that you wanted to board. Successors of the Whitewater Valley Railroad included the Cincinnati, Cleveland, Chicago, and St. Louis Railway (Big 4), and finally, the New York Central Railroad.
The Whitewater Valley Railroad offered passenger train service and mixed train service. Riding a mixed train, with both passenger and freight cars, required considerable patience, as passengers were obliged to sit idle while the train crew serviced the various industries along the line. Fortunately for those living along the Whitewater Valley Railroad, the company offered at least one eastbound and one westbound passenger train daily. Due competition from automobiles and the newly completed US 52, the New York Central Railroad terminated all passenger service on the Whitewater Valley ine in 1933.
Prior to the advent of mechanical refrigeration, frozen ponds and rivers served as the only practical source for ice, Ice companies, such as the Cincinnati Ice & Coal Company, leased ponds in the countryside. During the winter months, teams of men descended upon the ponds to harvest the frozen water. The ice cutters used a variety of tools designed to cut and remove blocks of ice from the ponds. Workers then packed the blocks in sawdust for shipment to ice houses in nearby towns and cities, Deliverymen then transported the blocks of ice to homes and businesses throughout the community.
Hendrickson's ice pond, formerly located east of
the parking area, produced ice for local ice
companies from the mid- to late nineteenth
century through the early twenticth century. The pond
was little more than a wide spot in the former
Whitewater Canal; which, after the end of navigation in
the early 1860s, remained in use as a source of
hydraulic power for industries in Metamora and
Brookville. Ice from this pond likely found its way to
customers in the Cincinnati area, By the 1920s, ice
machines and electric refrigerators had largely
eliminated the natural ice industry.
Erected by Gray & Pape, Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce
Location. 39° 26.267′ N, 85° 3.567′ W. Marker is in Yellow Bank, Indiana, in Franklin County. Marker is on U.S. 52 0.1 miles east of Yellow Bank Road, on the right when traveling east. On the grounds of Whitewater Canal State Historic Site. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 15042 US-52, Metamora IN 47030, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Boundary Hill (approx. 1.1 miles away); Intersection of Treaty Lines (approx. 2.1 miles away); Brookville's Carnegie Library (approx. 2.7 miles away); Goodwin Home (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Purple Heart (approx. 2.7 miles away); Brookville College (approx. 2.7 miles away); James Brown Ray (approx. 2.7 miles away); Old Brookville Church and Cemetery (approx. 2.8 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on December 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 26, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 36 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 26, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.