Washington Park Historic District
Constructed on the east side of Trail Creek, Washington Park has been Michigan City's dominant playground for over 100 years. The park's lakeside setting includes the Michigan City Lighthouse and Pier built in 1858/1904. First established as a park in 1891, improvements like the Soldiers' & Sailors' Monument dedicated in 1896, and bandstand began to endear the park to the city's residents and tourists to the area's dunes and beaches.
Later improvements were made to the
Washington Park area under New Deal-era
programs like the Works Progress
Administration during the 1930s. These
include the Art Deco-style Washington
Bicentennial Bridge and Naval Armory
built in 1932 and 1939, as well as a
number of stone benches, walls, and
gardens. The Washington Park Historic
District was listed on the National
Register of Historic Places in 1991.
Erected by Michigan City, Indiana.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Charity & Public Work • Parks & Recreational Areas • Waterways & Vessels.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Millennium Plaza (a few steps from this marker); Roger J. McKee Memorial Fountain (within shouting distance of this marker); Michigan City Civil War Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Michigan City Lighthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Michigan City Spanish War Veterans Memorial (about 400 feet away); Michigan City GAR Memorial (about 400 feet away); Private First Class Daniel D. Bruce (about 700 feet away); Michigan City Memorial Plaza (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Michigan City.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 26, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 34 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 26, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.