Trenton in Fannin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Land for this cemetery was donated in 1876 by Tennessee native William Boyd Burns (1821-1907), whose log cabin home was located adjacent to the site. Pioneer settler of the Trenton community, he also gave nearby property for a Union church building, Burns Chapel, which served as an early schoolhouse for the surrounding rural area.
The cemetery was first used in 1877 for the burials of Burns' stepson John Patton and daughter Priscilla Burns, who at 16 was a teacher in the Orangeville Academy. Other graves include those of pioneer area settlers and prominent leaders of Trenton. Among the Civil War veterans interred here and early physician Dr. W. C. Holmes, who fought at Shiloh, and John w. Connelly, a former teacher in the Indian Territory who became a popular local preacher.
For well over a century the Burns Cemetery has served residents of the Trenton area. The original tract has been enlarged through a donation of land and the purchase of additional property. Still in use, the cemetery serves as a historic reminder of the region's rich heritage and as the site of an annual memorial service honoring the settlers who led
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8852.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 33° 26.275′ N, 96° 19.282′ W. Marker is in Trenton, Texas, in Fannin County. Marker is on Highway 4602, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Trenton TX 75490, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Methodist Church of Trenton (approx. 1.1 miles away); Y.B. Reed (approx. 1.1 miles away); Trenton (approx. 1.1 miles away); First National Bank of Trenton (approx. 1.1 miles away); Indian Creek Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 4.8 miles away); John Cadwallader Neale (approx. 5˝ miles away); Dr. William Chamberlayne Jones (approx. 5˝ miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Leonard (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Trenton.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 26, 2020, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 23 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 26, 2020, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.