Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Berry in Fayette County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Town of Berry-Established 1883 / Berry Heritage Park

 
 
Town of Berry-Established 1883/Berry Heritage Park image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Darren Jefferson Clay, August 8, 2020
1. Town of Berry-Established 1883/Berry Heritage Park
Inscription.  
Town of Berry
Established 1883
Thompson Berry settled in this area in the 1840s. Berry devoted most of his time to raising cattle and farming. As time passed, he became the owner of a gin and gristmill and several thousand acres of land in Fayette County. In 1882-1883, the section of the Georgia-Pacific Railroad which connected Birmingham, Alabama and Columbus, Mississippi was built. Arrangements were made with Mrs. Ben Jefferies and Mrs. Eliza Harvey to locate a depot approximately midway between the two cities. The depot was named Berry for Thompson Berry, the first settler in the area and father of Mrs. Jefferies and Mrs. Harvey. In November 1883, the town of Berry was incorporated; the town limits being set by measuring one mile in all directions from a public well dug a short distance from the depot. The first store and post office was operated from a boxcar by Ab Seay even before the track of the railroad was completely laid. In 1899, the town held its first municipal election with the first mayor being Birks Bagwell.

Berry Heritage Park
Berry Heritage Park
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
was established in 2006. The park sits on the site of the old James Wilson Shepherd house that was built in the 1920s. Berry Heritage Park Drive was built by the Fayette County Commission in 2001 on the right- of-way of the old Georgia-Pacific Railroad (now Norfolk Southern Railway), which was donated to the town in 1999 when rail service ended between Berry and Columbus, Mississippi.
 
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Berry.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceParks & Recreational AreasRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 33° 39.615′ N, 87° 36.088′ W. Marker is in Berry, Alabama, in Fayette County. Marker is on Depot Street just north of Front Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 31 Depot St, Berry AL 35546, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Alabama Christian College of Berry, Alabama (approx. 0.2 miles away); Berea Church of Christ (approx. 14.9 miles away).
 
Town of Berry-Established 1883/Berry Heritage Park image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Darren Jefferson Clay, August 8, 2020
2. Town of Berry-Established 1883/Berry Heritage Park
Town of Berry-Established 1883/Berry Heritage Park image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Darren Jefferson Clay, August 8, 2020
3. Town of Berry-Established 1883/Berry Heritage Park
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 30, 2020, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. This page has been viewed 406 times since then and 93 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 30, 2020, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=163759

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 29, 2024