New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Lafayette No. 2
It is believed that this site started informally as a burial ground in 1850. In 1858, the City of Lafayette, before being annexed by New Orleans, constructed 120 tombs within. In 1865 a survey and plan were drawn up of the cemetery and the avenues and pathways designated. Society tombs found in this cemetery include the Butcher's Association (1868) and the French Society of Jefferson (1872).
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 29° 56.124′ N, 90° 5.368′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is on Washington Avenue south of Loyola Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2110 Washington Avenue, New Orleans LA 70115, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Oliver Residence (approx. 0.2 miles away); The New Zion Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Christ Church Cathedral (approx. 0.4 miles away); Van Benthuysen-Elms Mansion (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mayor Isaac W. Patton House (approx. Garden District (approx. half a mile away); R.N. Girling’s “English Apothecary” (approx. half a mile away); Maisonette Creole (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
More about this marker. Mounted on the left cemetery main gate column on Washington Avenue.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 1, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 31 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 1, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.