Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Small townhouse built by German settlers who lived in distant rural areas. Used over weekends by families while they traded or attended church. A typical early Sunday House had one room with a lean-to kitchen and a half story above, which was reached by outside stairway or ladder. Built during 1890s-1920s, most Sunday Houses were frame but some were rock. Homes found use during school sessions, periods of religious instruction or serious illness. Some of the larger ones made comfortable retirement homes for elderly German farmers.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10119.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 30° 16.692′ N, 98° 52.659′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Texas, in Gillespie County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of West Main Street (U.S. 290) and South Milam Street. The marker and house are located on the grounds of the Pioneer Museum and are accessible through admission to the museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 315 West Main Street, Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Republic of Texas German Immigrant Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); First Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Kammlah House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Meckel - Hanus Building (about 400 feet away); Gun Cap Factory (about 500 feet away); St. Mary's Catholic Church (about 500 feet away); Old St. Mary's Church (Die Alte Kirche) (about 600 feet away); Hoerster Building (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Regarding Sunday Houses. This one-room structure, measuring approximately 16 by 20 feet was the "Sunday House" for August and Alwine Weber and their two children. It was built by Mr. Weber in 1904 on a town lot near the corner of West San Antonio and Cherry Streets not far from this site.
Many people ask, "How could simple farmers afford to buy land in town and build these Sunday House?" The answer to that lies in the fact that most of the early Immigrants who came here from Germany received allotments of land, a town lot in Fredericksburg and a ten-acre out lot in the country. Families retained ownership of their town lots and many built these
In 1926, Adelbert Weber married Valeska Moellering, who would go on to be a school teacher in the surrounding county. Mrs. Weber taught school for over forty years, much of it in the simple one room schools that are scattered throughout Gillespie County. After the
Credits. This page was last revised on January 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 2, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 2, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.