Greenville in Hunt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Library Movement in Greenville
In 1897, Greenville's Chautauqua Literary and Social Circle formed the Women's Review Club, which aimed to create a circulating library; each member donated books. The Review Club opened their library in 1900. By 1903, the popular library had to move to larger facilities. The club sought funds from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, who offered $15,000 for a building. The local Federation of Women's Clubs, under leadership of may Moulton Harrison, provided the site, and the City formed a board of trustees for the public library, which opened in 1904. The library moved to new facilities in 1954 and again in 1996. Renamed for local historian W. Walworth Harrison, the son of May Harrison, the library continues to serve its community.
Erected 2003 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13167.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Education • Women.
Location. 33° 7.327′ N, 96° 6.329′ W. Marker is in Greenville, Texas, in Hunt CountyTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Lou Finney Ln, Greenville TX 75401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kavanaugh Methodist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Gen. Hal C. Horton Home (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mary Jim Morris (approx. 0.9 miles away); Ende-Gaillard House (approx. one mile away); Benjamin D. Martin (approx. one mile away); Fred Douglass Elementary School (approx. one mile away); Lallie P. Carlisle (approx. one mile away); First Baptist Church (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 3, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 3, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.