Havre de Grace in Harford County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Keeper of the Light
This is the house of the Keeper of the Light, built in 1827, just after the Concord Point Lighthouse was built. The same man who built the lighthouse, John Donohoo, also built the house. The original plans called for a solid, simple house 34 feet by 20 feet with an attached kitchen.
All of the original house but the kitchen still stands. Though many changes have taken place since 1827. In 1884 an additional story was added to the house. At other times interior changes and the addition of outbuildings altered the original house.
In 1920, when the lighthouse became automated with electricity, the house was sold and became a private home. Later, the home was turned into a restaurant with a dance hall. In 1988, the State of Maryland purchased the house and gave it to the City of Havre de Grace. The Friends of Concord Point Lighthouse began restoring the house in 1990.
Keepers of the
Since 1827, when the Concord Point Lighthouse was commissioned, many different Keepers ensured that the light burned bright. The first Keeper of the Light was John O’Neill who served until his death in 1838. O'Neill was a town hero who fought bravely against British ships when they attacked Havre de Grace on May 3, 1813. O’Neill served as Havre de Grace town commissioner from 1829 to 1835. John O’Neill’s descendants continued to live in the lighthouse and several served as Keepers until the lighthouse became automated in 1920.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Landmarks • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Lighthouses series list.
Location. 39° 32.448′ N, 76° 5.117′ W. Marker is in Havre de Grace, Maryland, in Harford County. Marker is at the intersection of Concord Street and Lafayette Street on Concord Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Havre de Grace MD 21078, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Havre de Grace (here, next to this marker); The Concord Point Light Keeper’s House and Property, 1827-1920 (here, next to this marker); Hero's Reward (a few steps from this marker); Adding On (within shouting distance of this marker); Post U.S. Lighthouse Service UseThe Keepers (within shouting distance of this marker); Keeper's House (within shouting distance of this marker); Did you Know? (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Havre de Grace.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,403 times since then and 21 times this year. Last updated on January 3, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on June 30, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 2, 3. submitted on July 11, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 4. submitted on January 8, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland.