Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Miles City in Custer County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
 

Fort Keogh Historic District

 
 
Fort Keogh Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, September 13, 2020
1. Fort Keogh Historic District Marker
Inscription.  Following the defeat of General Custer and the Seventh Cavalry at Little High Horn on June 25, 1876, Congress appropriated $200,000 to establish two forts in Montana Territory. The U.S. Army selected one site along the Tongue River, a mile and a half from this location, fro a preliminary cantonment. Construction of the permanent post began at this site in the spring of 1877. Until the advent of the railroad in 1881, building supplies arrived by steamboat. The fort, named for Custer's adjutant general Captain Myles Keogh, was under the command of General Nelson Miles. Miles City, named for General Nelson Miles, grew with the fort to become the county seat of Custer County in 1879. The fort's construction exceeded the $200,000 allocation. It was the largest fort in the territory, housing about 1,500 soldiers and their families. Sixty buildings once surrounded the unique diamond-shaped parade grounds. The military withdrew its infantry troops in 1908 and in 1909 the fort became the Fort Keogh Remount Depot, the largest of the U.S. Army's three remount stations. Civilian cowboys and wranglers trained the horses according to military rules before
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
shipping thousands of them worldwide, especially during World War I. In 1924, the army withdrew and transferred more than 55,000 acres of land to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Animal Husbandry, for research purposes. Originally the U.S. Range Livestock Experiment Station, it is now the Fort Keogh Livestock & Range Research Laboratory, a USDA Agriculture Research facility.
 
Erected by Montana Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AnimalsForts and CastlesScience & Medicine. In addition, it is included in the Montana National Register Sign Program series list.
 
Location. 46° 22.899′ N, 105° 53.059′ W. Marker is in Miles City, Montana, in Custer County. Marker is on Fort Keogh Road near Business Interstate 94. The marker is located at the U.S. Department of Agriculture Department of Livestock and Range Research Center. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Miles City MT 59301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Remount Depot Mess Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Horse Barn (approx. ¼ mile away); Water Wagon Shed (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Tongue River (approx. 1.4 miles
Fort Keogh Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, September 13, 2020
2. Fort Keogh Historic District Marker
away); Custer's First Skirmish With The Lakota (approx. 1.8 miles away); Riverside Park Steamboats (approx. 2.2 miles away); The Chappel Brothers Corporation (approx. 2.2 miles away); Photography (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Miles City.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 8, 2021, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 257 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 8, 2021, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=164231

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 23, 2024