Downtown Commercial District
Winchester, KY was established in 1793. The city underwent a boom with the arrival of railroads and became a major banking and commercial center. Winchester’s location as the "Gateway to the Mountains" of Eastern KY was instrumental in the city’s business and cultural growth. The commercial district’s buildings were erected between 1880-1900.
With over 100 historic structures, Winchester’s commercial district contains a collection of late 19th century architecture. The district extends along Main St. from Washington St. to Ogden Ct. and includes many landmarks, such as the Leeds Theatre and City Hall. It was listed on the Nat’l Register of Historic Places in 1982.
Erected 2020 by Kentucky Historical Society, presented by the Beer Cheese Festival. (Marker Number 2621.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Pastime Theater Disaster (within shouting distance of this marker); Gov. James Clark Judicial Center (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); County Named 1793 (about 500 feet away); "Morgan's Men" Here (about 500 feet away); Clark County War Memorial (about 500 feet away); Clark County Courthouse (about 500 feet away); Vietnam War Memorial (about 600 feet away); Hanson Home Site (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
Additional keywords. National Register of Historic Places
Credits. This page was last revised on January 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 9, 2021, by Frank Profitt of Georgetown, Kentucky. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 9, 2021, by Frank Profitt of Georgetown, Kentucky. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.