Near Henrico in Henrico County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
First Park Headquarters
In 1936 Congress created the Richmond National Battlefield Park which included all the lands acquired by the Battlefield Parks Corporation. This log structure became the visitor center and headquarters for this new national park. It remained in use until 1959.
It is now used only for special occasions.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 37° 25.674′ N, 77° 22.359′ W. Marker is near Henrico, Virginia, in Henrico County. Marker is on Battlefield Park Road, on the right when traveling south. Marker is in the Fort Harrison Unit of Richmond National Battlefield Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Henrico VA 23231, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within First Park Headquarters (here, next to this marker); Freedom Fighters (a few steps from this marker); Fort Harrison Trail (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Fort Harrison Trail (a few steps from this marker); Confederate Counterattack (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Harrison (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort Harrison (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Unique Photograph (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Henrico.
More about this marker. This marker was replaced by a new one named "First Park Headquarters" (see nearby markers).
Also see . . . Battlefield Tour - Ft Gilmer to Ft Brady. Richmond National Battlefield Park website. (Submitted on August 22, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 22, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 599 times since then and 5 times this year. Last updated on January 9, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 22, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.