Bridgewater in Rockingham County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Bridgewater During the War
A Confederate remount station for cavalrymen from states other than Virginia was located a few blocks behind you. Confederate partisan ranger chief Capt. Charles Woodson of Missouri got mounts for his men here when they operated in the Valley in the summer and fall of 1864.
Bridgewater was also a collection point for Confederate tax-in-kind supplies, when Virginians with little cash paid their taxes in meat (live and cured), produce, tobacco, wool, hides, and anything else useful to the Confederate war effort. The town collection center was a two-story log cabin near here. At the approach of Gen. Philip H. Sheridan’s Union army on the fall of 1864, the revenue agent let townspeople take whatever they wanted and then burned the rest on the cabin lawn to keep it out of Federal hands. Gen. George A. Custer’s U.S. Cavalry division occupied Bridgewater from September
Erected by Shenandoah Valley Battlefields Foundation & Virginia Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails series list. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1741.
Location. 38° 22.789′ N, 78° 58.789′ W. Marker is in Bridgewater, Virginia, in Rockingham County. Marker is on West Riverside Drive (State Highway 42). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bridgewater VA 22812, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Bridgewater (a few steps from this marker); The Alexander Mack Memorial Library (approx. half a mile away); Famous Travelers Along the Turnpike (approx. 1.3 miles away); Rockingham County / Augusta County (approx. 2.3 miles away); Bridgewater College (approx. 2˝ miles away); Origins of Shenandoah University (approx. 2.8 miles away); Sheridan's Last Raid (approx. 3 miles away); Mossy Creek (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bridgewater.
More about this marker. On the left is a photo of Capt. Charles Woodson, commander of Woodson’s partisan rangers, which included men from Indiana, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, and the Shenandoah Valley. On the right is a photo of Main Street (Warm Springs Turnpike.). A Confederate soldier, marching through Bridgewater for the first time, wrote home that it was a beautiful place, “full of flowers and trees.”
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 25, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,571 times since then and 133 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 25, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.