Seguin in Guadalupe County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Previously located on the Guadalupe County Poor Farm, the Calaboose was donated to the Seguin Conservation Society January 31, 1986 by Harriet and Dick Phillips in memory of her parents Arthur and Una Schmidt, who bought the property from the county, made it their homestead, and used the acreage for cattle raising.
The property was part of a 202 acre tract owned by Edward Nolte and sold December 23, 1893 to Guadalupe County for a "Convict Farm". The county auctioned the northeastern 37 acres of the tract to Mr. and Mrs. Schmidt on March 31, 1937 for $67.15 per acre. The deed from the county refers to this 31 acres as the "Poor Farm".
The Calaboose was originally mounted on wheels and served as a means of transportation for county prisoners. It was pulled by horses or mules to the fields where the prisoners performed work duties such as picking cotton. Still visible on the metal lined walls of the calaboose are graffiti left by the prisoners.
The Calaboose was left in a pasture under a large live oak tree that had been used as a "Hanging Tree" for prisoners sentenced to death by the County Courts. Nearby stood
Erected by Seguin Conservation Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Law Enforcement. A significant historical date for this entry is January 31, 1986.
Location. 29° 33.93′ N, 97° 57.787′ W. Marker is in Seguin, Texas, in Guadalupe County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of East Live Oak Street and South Crockett Street. The calaboose and marker are located behind the Campbell Cabin. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Seguin TX 78155, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Campbell Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Los Nogales (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Zies-Vivroux Residence (about 300 feet away); Historic Dietz Doll House (about 300 feet away); Guadalupe High School (about 700 feet away); St. Andrew's Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away); Juan Nepomuceno Seguin (approx. 0.2 miles away); German Pioneers (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seguin.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 10, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 229 times since then and 95 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 10, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.