Mission San Antonio de Valero 1744
First founded 1718 c 1 mile to west, moved to a new site c 600 ft. to south of present site in 1719, a 1724 tornado destroyed the mission. Moved to present site 1724, for 20 years it was a cluster of thatched houses of wood posts. A small pox epidemic in 1731 killed 116 out of 300 Indians. Apaches raided the mission the same year. In 1745 the mission Indians saved the town and fort across the river from an Apache attack. A new stone church collapsed after the stonemason killed a man and locked himself in the church in a standoff with Spanish solders, then escaped in the night.
1. New 1744 stone church, collapsed
2. Temporary thatched adobe church, with cemetery beside
3. Priest house
S. Old temporary thatched Indian houses of posts
6. New adobe Indian houses with peach and willow trees
7. Irrigation ditch
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Forts and Castles • Native Americans.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mission San Antonio de Valero 1785 (a few steps from this marker); Mission San Antonio de Valero 1793-1835 (a few steps from this marker); Gonzales Men at the Alamo (a few steps from this marker); Tennessee Volunteers at the Alamo (a few steps from this marker); Mission Mill (and Millstone) (a few steps from this marker); The Alamo 1836 (a few steps from this marker); The Alamo (within shouting distance of this marker); Spanish Mission and Military Post (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 11, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 12, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. 3, 4. submitted on January 11, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.