Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Alamo 1891

 
 
The Alamo 1891 Marker image. Click for full size.
By TeamOHE, December 25, 2018
1. The Alamo 1891 Marker
Inscription.  

Alamo City Subdivision
Samuel Maverick was a S. Carolina land speculator who had arrived in San Antonio in 1835 just at the start of the revolution. Sent as a delegate to form a new government, he barely missed being in the Battle of the Alamo. He returned and in 1841 started buying up most of the land around the Alamo to start a real estate development called "Alamo City". Marking off new streets through The Plaza, subdividing the old fields and yards He profoundly changed The Alamo into a commercial area. At the N.W. Plaza corner he built a 2 story home and a land sales office. He rented land to the U.S. Army for years but in 1861 was active in the Confederate take over of The Alamo.

U.S. Army Supply Depot
The annexation of Texas in 1845 lead to war with Mexico in 1846. The U.S. Army moved into The Alamo in 1847 and started remodeling it for a military storage depot of supplies for the troops invading Mexico and later for 22 federal forts across Texas. In 1850 the old church was roofed and the famous facade was added after a proposal to demolish the church was over ruled. In 1861 a pro slave empire group,

The Alamo 1891 Marker map key image. Click for full size.
By TeamOHE, December 25, 2018
2. The Alamo 1891 Marker map key
"Knights of the Golden Circle" seized The Alamo from the the U.S Army & all the forts in Texas. During the Civil War slaves were sold on the steps of the convento. After the war the U.S. Amy returned until 1875.

George Nelson
Artist

Phil Collins
Sponsor

Scale 1 inch:20 feet

1. Church: Remodeled and roofed by U.S. Army in 1850, used for storage. New upper façade added. Gunpowder stored in side room. Wagon scale in front.

2. Convento: Remodeled by U.S. Army in 1847, up Stairs: Offices (and Masonic Lodge), Downstairs: Medical Supplies, Food, Uniforms, Weapons, Saddle Maker. During Civil War Confederates had a slave market on top of stairs.

3. Corral: For U.S. Army horses and mules & hay storage, stalls wagon yard & new bend of irrigation ditch. Over time various wooden buildings added.

4. Galera: Old Alamo gate building. Forage barn for U.S. Army mules and horses.

5. New City Meat Market: Built 1850s

6. Alamo Saloon

7. Samuel Maverick New 2 Story Home: Built on new Houston St. corner of his subdivision “Alamo City” started in 1850s.

8. Samuel Maverick’s Land Sales Office: Sold lots around Alamo Plaza and all over Texas.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or CastlesNative Americans.
 
Location.
The Alamo 1891 Marker image. Click for full size.
By TeamOHE, December 25, 2018
3. The Alamo 1891 Marker
29° 25.559′ N, 98° 29.192′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is on Alamo Plaza south of East Houston Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Part of the San Antonio de Valero Mission (here, next to this marker); The Alamo 1900 (here, next to this marker); The Alamo 1836-1846 (a few steps from this marker); The Birthplace of Freemasonry in West Texas (a few steps from this marker); Masonic Heroes of the Alamo (a few steps from this marker); The Alamo in 1836 (a few steps from this marker); Ruins of the Habitations of the Friars and Indians (a few steps from this marker); Clara Driscoll (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
 
The Alamo 1891 Marker image. Click for full size.
By TeamOHE, December 25, 2018
4. The Alamo 1891 Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 11, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 12, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio.   3, 4. submitted on January 11, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jan. 26, 2021