Relampago in Hidalgo County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Originally part of a Spanish land grant, Relampago (lightning) Ranch community lay along the stage and military route from Rio Grande City to Brownsville. In 1852 Thaddeus Rhodes (1828-1904) acquired acreage here when he came as Hidalgo County clerk. Later he served as commissioner and judge. He and Jose Maria Mora (1824-1884), who bought adjoining land about 1856, helped bring economic and social stability. Mora and later his son Melchor, a deputy sheriff and Texas Ranger, farmed, ranched and had the only general store in the area. Descendants still live on the property.
Land for this park was donated by Mrs. Jesus Maria (Sofia Vela) Mora.
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4239.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 26° 5.092′ N, 97° 55.143′ W. Marker is in Relampago, Texas, in Hidalgo County. Marker is on Military Highway (U.S. 281), on the right when travelingTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mercedes TX 78570, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Military Highway of the Lower Rio Grande Valley (here, next to this marker); Battle of La Bolsa (approx. 1.4 miles away); El Horcon Tract and Rio Rico (approx. 1.8 miles away); Former Station Site of Spiderweb Railroad (approx. 2˝ miles away); Progreso (approx. 2˝ miles away); Ebony Grove Cemetery (approx. 3.1 miles away); Temple Beth Israel (approx. 4 miles away); Camp Mercedes (approx. 4 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on January 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 11, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 29 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 11, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.