Brenham in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Brenham Fire Department
Two volunteer organizations, Brenham Hook and Ladder Co. and the Fire Protection Co., were started May 28, 1867, ostensibly to fight fires. In reality they were also military companies to suppress lawlessness until in 1874 Reconstruction ended.
In 1875 a fire alarm bell and in 1880 a 50-gallon cistern were installed on courthouse square. The second Steam Fire Engine in Texas was purchased in 1878.
In 1881, firemen sponsored the First Annual Brenham Maifest, then continued it 60 years. In 1884 they built for the event a pavilion in Fireman's Park.
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8307.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Law Enforcement • Parks & Recreational Areas.
Location. 30° 10.154′ N, 96° 23.445′ W. Marker is in Brenham, Texas, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of North Chappell Hill Street and East Main Street, on the left when traveling north on North Chappell Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Chappell Hill Road, Brenham TX 77833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mount Rose Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ross-Carroll House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Pickard High School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Camptown Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of Masonic Academy (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Christian Church of Brenham (approx. 0.3 miles away); Giddings Wilkin House Museum 1843 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Giddings-Wilkin House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brenham.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 11, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 11, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.