Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Brenham in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Oak Rest Cemetery and Site of Prospect Presbyterian Church

 
 
Oak Rest Cemetery and Site of Prospect Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 8, 2021
1. Oak Rest Cemetery and Site of Prospect Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  

The Rev. Hugh Wilson (1794-1868) organized Prospect Presbyterian Church at this site in February 1839. Located on land included in a Mexican land grant to James F. and Emily Perry, it was the second Presbyterian church founded in Texas. Worship services were conducted in a log schoolhouse where in 1840 the first Presbytery (Brazos) of Texas was organized.

The congregation's second pastor, the Rev. James Weston Miller (1815-1888), founded Live Oak Female Seminary in 1853, and the church building housed some school classes. Under Miller's direction a foundation was laid here for a new sanctuary prior to the Civil War. The foundation stones, though never used, still exist. A new building was erected south of here near the seminary in 1872. The church disbanded in 1928 and its members transferred to Brenham Presbyterian Church. The 1872 building was dismantled in 1956.

Among those interred in Oak Rest Cemetery are many pioneer members of Prospect Presbyterian Church, including the Miller family, and veterans of the Texas Revolution and the Civil War. Along with the nearby site of the Live Oak Female Seminary, the cemetery
Oak Rest Cemetery and Site of Prospect Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 8, 2021
2. Oak Rest Cemetery and Site of Prospect Presbyterian Church Marker
and church foundation stones serve as reminders of the area's pioneer heritage.
 
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8375.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & Religion.
 
Location. 30° 17.719′ N, 96° 26.732′ W. Marker is near Brenham, Texas, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Mayfair Lane (County Highway 58) and Clay Creek Road (County Highway 55), on the left when traveling north on Mayfair Lane. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brenham TX 77833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Holly Oaks (approx. 0.8 miles away); Site of Mound Hill School (approx. 0.8 miles away); La Bahia Road (approx. 2.4 miles away); Glenblythe Plantation, Home of Thomas Affleck (approx. 3.4 miles away); Thomas Affleck (approx. 3˝ miles away); Robert Starke Armistead (approx. 3.8 miles away); Waul's Texas Legion Campsite (approx. 4.4 miles away); Yegua Creek (approx. 4˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brenham.
 
Also see . . .  Presbyterian Church. Scottish and British Presbyterians who laid the foundations of Presbyterianism in America began to enter Texas in the 1820s, especially
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
from the Southern states. Cumberland Presbyterians began work in Texas with the coming of Sumner Bacon in 1829. Source: The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on January 13, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 12, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 13, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 25, 2021